Monday, September 11, 2006

Today

Last night I was trying to think of what I was going to say today.

Driving to work today, the first thing on the radio was the two morning DJs talking about what they remembered from 5 years ago, followed by a "9/11 tribute" song. I immediately changed the channel - to WSUM, which was emphatically not playing 9/11 tribute music at the time.

Then I began to think again about what to write. After all, the blogosphere is abuzz with remembrance today. Instapundit is swimming in the stuff. So is the Cheddarsphere. So I'm expected to have an opinion. But what to write? Post my memories of the day? Maybe a link round-up - "here's what other, more articulate folks are saying"? Should I play politics with it? "I'm a Republican, so I'm durn sure gon' lissen to that Toby Keith song about puttin' a boot up yer ass! Hoo-ah!" Should I memorialize the soldiers fighting the aftermath of September 11, 2001?

My reaction has been to turn the station today, so to speak. Not because I don't want to remember - but because I don't want to be told how to think.

But if you do want to think, this might make you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenna said...

I really don't think that those tributes had anything to do with "playing politics" with 9/11. I tried very hard to keep all things political out of it. Everything I found about that woman was about her faith and her goodness of spirit.

Please explain to me, Steve, why remember people who lost their lives on 9/11 is "playing politics"?

1:05 PM  
Blogger Steve S said...

The focus on religion, and explicitly tying her religion to the events of 9/11, struck me as tacky.

Granted, it was somewhat reflexive, but I don't think that it was necessary. The focus on her religion implies other things politically.

The trouble with memorializing the 9/11 dead is this: the memorializers tend to extrapolate. I think the best way to do it would simply be to list the names of the dead - as Hillel does every year, for instance. Much more than that forces filters on these people that probably aren't just.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

The only thing I could find about her, her one overriding quality, was her faith.

There are some people whose faith affects them so much that it pours out into every arena of her life.

She was one of them.

I don't think that's "tacky" at all.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home