Monday, September 11, 2006

Ghosts and Machines, 9-11 2006

As I write this, 9-11 2006 is almost over in the central time zone, by the time I post, another anniversary will have passed into our collective memory books and memorial holes.

If you really want to relive what happened, the New Yorker has opened up this article from their archive. Also get the 9-11 Commission Report, in comic book form.

All day long I was thinking about writing one of those "war on terrorism, where are we now?" articles that have been cropping up but decided against it. You can use every History Channel adjective you like: heroic, long, bloody, bizarre, complicated, expensive, divisive, but none of them really captures the scope of events that have unfolded since then.

One interesting response has been Slate's invitation to various cultural figures; What art has helped you make sense of 9-11? I could go on this theme for awhile; instead I'll close with the opening lines of Invisible Sun, written by The Police about "the troubles" in Northern Ireland for the 1981 album Ghost in the Machine.

I don't want to spend the rest of my life
Looking at the barrel of an Armalite
I don't want to spend the rest of my days
Keeping out of trouble like the soldiers say
I don't want to spend my time in hell
Looking at the walls of a prison cell
I don't ever want to play the part
Of a statistic on a government chart


To see video for Invisible Sun, check it out on YouTube.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home